How Can We Help?
File formats in Pixlr Editor
Pixlr Editor has its own file format called PXD (which preserves image layers for future editing), but you can save or export your images in many popular and web-friendly formats:
- PNG files can be transparent and of high quality. This is a good choice for the web, especially for logos or images that contain text or blocks of color separated by sharp lines.
- JPEG (or JPG) is one of the most popular file formats and one that many cameras output. This is a great choice for images taken from real life (e.g. photos) that will end up on the web.
- BMP files are larger and capture more data, which may be desired for higher quality images (e.g., for printing), but this is not a good format for displaying on the web.
- TIFF is similar to BMP and is used by some graphic design professionals as a preferred format. If you need to export as much data as possible (e.g., as high quality an image as possible), your best bet is to choose the TIFF format.
- Keep in mind that .pxd is the only format that will preserve layers for editing later.