“Be creative. Be you.”
GeekOutdoors is a certified content creator and digital marketer who produces fun educational content. The purpose of his channel is to teach people how to be creative and how to use the right tools in branding. He also talks about the reality of being a YouTuber and shares his travel experiences with his viewers.
In this week’s Spotlight interview, GeekOutdoors talks about how he handled creating content whilst keeping up with the current trends and raising a family.
1. How did you get started in your YouTube/Instagram?
I uploaded my first video to YouTube on October 21, 2013 sharing my love of video games but then after about 30 videos, I stopped posting.
Then it wasn’t until October 21, 2015 when I was outside on the Beach that I decided to turn my phone camera around to give this YouTube thing another try and more than 1,000 videos later, I’m still Creating!
2. Did you always know you wanted to do this?
No. I never thought of myself as a Creative person nor was I seen this way. However, I had ideas that I just wanted to share with the world and the Internet was the Perfect way to do this.
3. How and when did you know you can make this a career?
When I made my first dollar from content that I created and most importantly, when people found value out of what I’m creating.
4. How do you keep your audience engaged?
I like to use the term “Relationship Marketing.” As with anything we do in life, it’s about building relationships with people and when you treat your audience in this way, it keeps them engaged for the long term.
5. What do you think is most important when you’re looking for ways to engage with your audience?
Learn about your audience and what’s most valuable to them and then see if that’s aligned with your values/goals and adjust accordingly.
6. What do you love most about working in this industry?
Creative Freedom and the ability to directly impact people in a positive way while earning a living doing it.
7. How do you stay current on all the shifts and innovations?
Constantly learn and improve from others who’ve successfully accomplished what you want while reflecting on your own experiences as well.
8. Have you noticed any positive or negative changes in your work since the pandemic?
The pandemic has given time for people to really think about what they value in their life and with that, some people have also learned to see other opportunities as a Creator.
9. What’s the funniest story that comes to mind ever since you started working from home more due to the pandemic?
I’ve been working online for more than 7 years, so at least for me there’s not much difference besides the fact that there are more people now who don’t think I’m weird for talking to people on video all day 😉
10. What advice would you give for aspiring creators?
Be Creative. Be You.
Want more on GeekOutdoors’s work? Check out his website or follow his YouTube for some tutorials!
Want to know if you are making the correct camera upgrade? Why not start with Geekoutdoor’s ‘Worth The Upgrade?’